June 01, 2015

Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake

Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake
Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake

I have  made this cheesecake for the very first time in the beginning of May. Since than I've made it three more times, almost every weekend. And all this time I have been wanting to share the recipe with you so badly! 

The first time  I made this cheesecake, it was absolutely spontaneous. I happen to have 2 kg of the really good quality farmer cheese . Me + 2 kg of farmer cheese = baking.  I decided it must be a cheesecake, because actually I had been craving  after it for some time back than. So, when I had an opportunity to bake a lighter version, I didn't have to think twice. There was just a tiny problem - I was left without my camera for the whole week, so obviously no pictures - no post. However, it may have been even for the better, since I have improved the recipe afterwards.

I am not gonna lie, it was a wild month.  Every time I had made a cheesecake, there always were some obstacles in the way to hinder me from sharing the recipe. At first, I didn't have camera, then came an examination week, right after it - my birthday, the celebration of which have dragged on for the whole week! Yeah, now I am 20, by the way!

During all May this cheesecake has been my true saviour and a great friend. It is a perfect snack when I crave for something sweet, though it is flourless and sugar-free! I hope you will fall in love with it like I did. 

P.S. Do you also feel like a criminal when you pick the flowers in the public place?


Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake
Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange CheesecakeGluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake
Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake
Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake
Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake
Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake

Notes
 - I prefer lining the springform pan this way . I do like this all the time. First of all, you don't have to mess around with cutting the right size of the parchment to fit right in. And secondly, you have free edges, with the help of which,  you will easily remove the cheesecake from the springform pan.
 - If you have a sweet tooth, this cheesecake may seem a little bit flavourless. I recommend you to taste the filling before adding the eggs. If it doesn't taste sweet in your opinion, then add more sweetener to your choice or you can add one more banana.  
- The residents of  Central and Eastern Europe can substitute for cream cheese so cold tvogor - unripened firm farmer cheese, to the production of which rennet is not added. These cheese works great for cheesecake provided it is well pressed and has a high fat content. 

GLUTEN & SUGAR - FREE HEALTHY ORANGE CHEESECAKE
makes 10 inch / 24 cm cake
serves 12

INGREDIENTS
CRUST
90 g walnuts
90 g rolled oats
90 g dates, pitted
zest of 1 orange
pinch of salt
2 tbsp honey

FILLING
700 g cream cheese (or tvorog , see Notes)
1/3 cup (75 ml) sour cream
1 large ripe banana
2/3 cup orange juice, approximately from 2 small oranges
zest of 1 orange
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs

TO ASSEMBLE
strawberries or any other kind of berries

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Line the bottom of the springform pan with parchment paper.

2. In a food processor pulse walnuts and oatmeal until finely chopped. Add in the rest of ingredients for the crust and blend until a smooth paste forms. Press the mixture into the bottom of the lined pan. To prevent the mixture from sticking to the fingers, moisten your hands in cold water from time to time. Cover the pan with a plastic wrap and put in the freezer while preparing the filling.

3. In a food processor, pulse the cream cheese until smooth. Add sour cream, banana, orange juice, orange zest, honey, vanilla extract and beat until smooth and combined. Add the eggs one at a time, and pulse until incorporated.

4. Pour the filling over the prepared crust and tap the pan a few times on the counter to let the air bubbles out and to flatten the cake.  Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the edges are set and the centre is slightly jiggly. Transfer the cheesecake on a wire rack and let cool completely. Then cover and put in the fridge overnight or at least for 8 hours.

5. Decorate with fresh strawberries and serve.

Gluten & Sugar - Free Healthy Orange Cheesecake

- xo xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment